Thursday, July 8, 2010

Grape Fritters


Cinnamon Sugar
2 t. superfine sugar
1 t. ground cinnamon

2 eggs separated
½ t. vanilla extract
¼ c. superfine sugar
¾ cup seedless red or black grapes
1/3 c. self rising flour
3 T. unsalted butter

Mix cinnamon and sugar in a bowl

Whisk yolks with vanilla and sugar until combined and just creamy. Slice each grape in fourths and mix in yolk mixture. Beat egg whites to soft peaks and lightly fold into yolk mix with a metal spoon until just combined and then repeat with the rest of the whites.

Melt 2 t. butter in a frying pan over low heat. Place six heaping teaspoons of batter into pan. Cook over med-low heat for 2-3 min, turning very carefully when the bottom becomes firm and bubbles appear around the edges. Cook another 1-2 min. or until golden. Remove to a plate and keep warm while finishing the rest. Dust the fritters with the cinnamon and sugar and serve warm. Makes 24.

The fritters are best made just before serving. If necessary, reheat in 325º oven for 5 min. Sprinkle with sugar after reheating.

That’s the recipe. Last time I made these I didn’t like the process and instead I cooked them in an oven in mini muffin tins. That is what I had in my notes. I tried it yesterday and the fritters stuck and were a mess. Then I put the mini papers in and they were much more successful. I waited until they were cooled and peeled the paper off (that’s the picture you see here)
and froze them on a flat sheet until frozen and then bagged them. In the past I have frozen them and reheated just enough for the cinnamon sugar mix to adhere. They are fine at room temp and frankly, I like a sweet app now and then that doesn't need last minute fussing.

I did not use superfine sugar but used Splenda instead.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tommy,
    I made these delicious little gems for my quilting bee the other day. They turned out great. I used your idea of the mini muffin tins with paper liners. I wasn't sure how long to cook them, but they turned out perfect. I froze them. Actually ate one frozen and it was delicious. Anything to cool off in the AZ heat! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear if you made any of these recipes. And if you have specific requests or questions, please email me at
tommygirl at americanstair dot net