Saturday, December 3, 2011

Piñón

Miracles' Piñón

Serves 6 - 8

4 Ripe Plantains

6 large eggs

2 lbs chopped meat (all beef or beef and pork)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 small can Goya tomato sauce

1 cup sliced green olives

1 envelope Goya Sazon

2 tbs Goya Frozen or Jar Sofrito or paste (I use 2 of my own frozen cubes)

2 large cans French cut string beans

NOTE: I make my own Sofrito: In processor, chop 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 8 garlic cloves, 2 large onions, 1 cup cilantro, 1 cup culantro sprigs, 12 aji dulce (sweet little pepper). Pour mixture into ice trays. When frozen, pop out of ice trays and place in freezer bags. Use as needed.

Peel plantains, cut in half, then slice lengthwise about 1/2 inch thick. Should get 4 slices.

Brown plantain and set aside.

Lightly brown meat, add S&P, tomato sauce, olives, sazon, sofrito.

Cover meat and set aside.

Beat eggs with a 2 tbs milk, 1/4 tsp salt and set aside.

Drain string beans and set aside.

Coat deep casserole pan with olive oil.

Begin layering as follows:

Plantain

Spread meat mixture over plantain

String beans

Pour 1/3 egg mixture over string beans.

Continue layering.

I like to end with egg over string beans because it looks best when serving.

Cover with deep aluminum pan to create dome over casserole pan.

Bake 90 minutes at 375º.


The only changes I made to the recipe were that I used a pork tenderloin for the meat and undercooked it a little in the beginning due to the long bake time later. Oh, and I cubed it. I did not put in green olives because no one in the family likes them (outside their martinis!). Also, I steamed fresh green beans and then frenched them (because I am nuts and they were on sale for $.99 a pound.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear if you made any of these recipes. And if you have specific requests or questions, please email me at
tommygirl at americanstair dot net